Are you passionate about data technology? You might be a great candidate for our data platform team!
Data is at the core of everything we do at CircleCI, and our data platform is what powers, controls, and stores it all. We’re seeking a Senior Engineer to join us and help grow our Data Platform to support CircleCI through 2021 and beyond!
This is a full-time, remote role for candidates in the United States or Canada. You'll be reporting to one of our Engineering Managers, Jace Proctor.
You’re an experienced engineer in the data infrastructure or data platform fields. You know the challenges of platform work, balancing reactive tasks from stakeholders with investments in the platform, while still being productive and delivering value. You’re a great communicator and get energy and enjoyment from reaching out to others and helping meet their needs.
About Our Team
Data Platform at CircleCI is responsible for providing simple, reliable, fast, and secure access to the data that powers our business. We manage the data stores, pipelines, and processes that contain and govern data at CircleCI, and we make ourselves as accessible as possible to ensure that anyone in the company who needs data to do their jobs can get it.
Who we’re looking for:
An engineer who’s comfortable with both the technologies we use, and working on a close-knit, collaborative team. We work to meet the needs of our users throughout the business, so a multi-functional, collaborative, and service-minded attitude is key. We value good communication, empathy, and initiative in all of our engineers and employees. Some qualities specific to this role include:
- A solid understanding of the fundamentals of data engineering and engineering at scale, including concepts like version control, code review, infrastructure-as-code, ELT, 'nix systems, microservice architectures, cloud computing and deployment, CI/CD systems, and Git.
- Years of experience on a data platform, platform, operations, infrastructure, SRE, or a similarly-shaped team.
- Someone who understands the importance of shipping early and often, and has demonstrable experience working and delivering iteratively.
- An enthusiastic and effective communicator who is comfortable with technical and non-technical audiences alike.
- On-call rotation experience.
- Proficiency with Snowflake, dbt Cloud, Fivetran, and Airflow.
- Experience working remotely and with a fully distributed team and company.
- Folks who model good work/life balance.
What you’ll do:
- Make sizable contributions to data platform projects, in collaboration with the rest of the team, ranging from building pipelines and data models to maintaining monitoring and alerting.
- Take the lead on medium-to-large sized initiatives and OKRs.
- Proactively identify and resolve future technical risk.
- Meet with partners from across the company to help facilitate their data needs, and listen to them on how to make our platform better.
- Participate in our on-call engineering rotation.
CircleCI Engineering Competency Matrix
This role will be for level E3 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectations for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Read our blog post about the competency matrix to learn more.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools - processing more than 1 million builds a day - CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Base10, Greenspring Associates, Eleven Prime, IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Baseline Ventures, Threshold Ventures, Scale Venture Partners, Owl Rock Capital, Next Equity Partners, Heavybit and Harrison Metal Capital.
CircleCI is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Colorado Salary Range: $128,000 - $160,000/year
Level: Mid-Senior Level