At CircleCI, we enable developers to do better work every day. We focus solely on helping our customers ship quality code, faster. Our organization is growing to meet the demands of our customers, and we need an experienced Backend Architect to join our adventure!
As a Senior Staff Engineer you will oversee the technical aspects of our direction and quality of delivery within our Application Engine group. This set of teams is accountable for the underlying functions that power our products at scale. Your deep knowledge of API design and backend services will help us deliver functionality that empowers developers worldwide. You'll be at the forefront of crafting powerful solutions and setting the standards for backend engineering across our organization.
What you’ll do:
- Guide several teams in anticipation of future use cases and help them make design decisions that minimize the cost of future changes. You will support and empower these teams to do their best work.
- Be a strategic partner and actively work with engineering teams and cross-functionally with other departments to develop and apply scalable solutions.
- Regularly mentor and coach engineers to expand their skills and support their career growth, including pair programming.
- Take leadership on particularly critical code reviews in multiple code languages as well as develop a cross-organizational technical strategy and architectural vision by analyzing cross-team challenges and designing measurable solutions.
- Contribute to building the standard methodologies of a growing organization.
- Share rotating on-call duties for our incident response.
What we're looking for:
We’re seeking someone who thrives in a collaborative environment, is naturally curious and interested in learning, has strong communication and collaboration skills, and helps others grow by sharing their expertise and encouragement.
- Experience: You bring 10+ years of technical leadership experience working in a modern cloud company and expertise in distributed systems. You're experienced with at least some of our tech stack, are willing to learn new technologies and languages, and aren’t afraid to admit what you don’t know. Learn more about our tech stack here.
- Collaboration: You thrive in a collaborative environment, are naturally curious and interested in learning, and enjoy helping others grow by sharing your expertise and encouragement.
- Communication: You encourage open communication both asynchronously and synchronously, value feedback loops, and are open to being wrong and having your mind changed. You’re proficient in English in verbal and written form.
- Delivery: You know the ins and outs of modern software engineering practices, agile/scrum methodologies, and how to apply them to drive effective, timely, high-quality delivery. You provide visibility into your work and progress.
- Leadership: You foster a culture of ideas, write problem statements, and proactively engage with and educate both business partners and other engineers cross-functionally to understand the impact of their work. You have experience partnering with product and business leaders while providing technical direction for a team with engineering managers and engineers.
- Adaptability: You're comfortable with ambiguity and figuring things out as they evolve, change, and new requirements emerge.
- Remote work: You are comfortable working with distributed teams across multiple time zones. Being remote-first, we foster a culture that is inclusive of remote workers while allowing everyone to be the most productive. Learn more about our remote-first culture here.
CircleCI Engineering Career Growth System:
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Colorado Salary Range: $160,000 - $200,000/year