CircleCI is looking for an exceptional Senior Legal Counsel to join our dynamic and collaborative legal team. We work cross-functionally and partner closely with other departments to help achieve CircleCI’s ambitious goals and help see around corners to protect the company’s core values and interests. This key Legal hire will have a broad focus in the following areas: privacy, product counseling, business transactions and commercial contracts, protection of intellectual property, litigation and dispute resolution, and BD & partnerships. This will be a great experience for a person who wants to dive right in, learn quickly on the job, and ultimately become an integral contributor to the company’s continued expansion. As part of our growing team, you will have the opportunity to gain exposure to all aspects of our in-house legal work and help drive impact across our global organization as we rapidly scale.
This position reports to the Deputy General Counsel.
What you’ll do:
- Work across a spectrum of complex legal, business, and strategic issues
- Partner with CircleCI’s Security team on data privacy, GDPR and CCPA compliance efforts, provide in-house subject matter expertise with respect to evolving domestic and international data privacy laws, and review customer security addendums
- Advise on a full range of issues related to product development and commercialization, including compliance with US and international laws on data security, marketing, consumer protection, risk management, and partner relations
- Draft, negotiate and close a variety of contracts, such as sales, licensing, consulting agreements, and vendor contracts, and support CircleCI’s fast-moving, global Sales team
- Prepare, evaluate, and negotiate a variety of partnerships, reseller agreements and strategic alliance transactions
- Assist in the management of internal processes to secure patent, trademark, and other intellectual property protection. Evaluate, prepare, and negotiate licenses of third-party intellectual property rights and the company's intellectual property rights, including open source
- Draft and help maintain CircleCI’s online agreements and written templates
- Collaborate with teams across CircleCI, including Security, Product, Engineering, Customer Engineering, Marketing, Sales and BD
- Provide creative thinking to help identify legal technology solutions and related processes in order to drive efficiency, collaboration and internal alignment.
What we’re looking for:
- 7+ years of experience as a practicing attorney, including experience working at a top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Strong product counseling and/or privacy experience
- Extensive experience with technology agreements and commercial transactions; specific experience with SaaS contracts is a plus
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) and project management skills with a strict attention to detail
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information at the highest level
- Experience working with international teams and cross-functionally within organizations
- Team player who enjoys building relationships and collaborating with others
- The ability to effectively prioritize and advance multiple deals happening simultaneously, often on tight deadlines
- Excellent judgment, and being capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
- The willingness to jump in and do whatever needs doing, whether or not it fits squarely in your area of expertise
- Membership in at least one state bar (preferably CA)
- Familiarity with Google Docs, Gmail, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, DocuSign and Salesforce, but we will train a person who has experience with similar tools or an ability to learn
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Owl Rock, NextEquity Partners, Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures, Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, and Harrison Metal Capital. Learn more at https://circleci.com.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.