Welcome to the engineering metrics guide for team success. In this guide, you’ll find relevant resources to help your team use data to make informed decisions and operate at maximum efficiency.
Don’t use CI on your team? Learn why continuous integration is key to increasing deployment frequency.
Finding DevOps success with the right engineering metrics
Engineering metrics are key to evaluating your team’s ability to deliver. As the world’s largest standalone CI provider, we have a unique opportunity to investigate what software delivery looks like quantitatively: across tens of thousands of teams, commit by commit. We’ve seen how teams are building and deploying software in practice, and here we will share the keys to using metrics to improve your team’s performance.
Learn how to measure DevOps success with four key benchmarks for your engineering teams.
Tracking pipeline data to make informed decisions
Need a place to track your pipeline relevant pipeline data? Monitor and optimize your CI/CD pipeline with Insights dashboard from CircleCI.
Engineering teams should use aggregate workflow information to show how workflows are performing over time —tracking success/failure rate, throughput, and mean time to recovery, as well as duration metrics. On the CircleCI Insights dashboard, you can track these metrics to ensure you’re making informed decisions about your pipelines:
- Track status — See which jobs are failing, which workflows have flaky tests, and prioritize efforts for pipeline improvement.
- Monitor duration — Find out which workflows or jobs are taking the longest and identify opportunities where caching, parallelization, and our new convenience images can help speed things up.
- Optimize consumption — Optimize usage on CircleCI with insight into credit spend per job and/or workflow. Predictably plan month over month consumption.
Download 2020 State of Software Delivery: Data-Backed Benchmarks for Engineering Teams to find out what the most successful teams are doing to build better and faster.
Now that you have a place to track your data points: How do you improve your team’s engineering metrics?
We’ve compiled a few resources that give insight on how to improve team engineering metrics. Browse through these articles that may be relevant to your team:
- Feedback loops: The key to improving mean time to recovery
- What does the change fail rate tell us about high-performance teams?
- How to stop worrying and love failed builds
- Decrease your build times by running jobs in parallel with workflows
- Learn how to to leverage job orchestration for workflows
- How we write our CircleCI config at CircleCI
KPIs for engineering teams: continuous integration that achieves both speed and quality
Speed only tells part of the story. The challenge is knowing how to gauge your DevOps team’s performance beyond speed. High velocity is great, but high confidence even more vital. Taken together, the two qualities create what’s known as high-performance DevOps.
What does a high-performing team actually look like, and how do you know if your team is doing well, compared to other DevOps teams? What does “fast” look like? Learn more about continuous integration’s impact on lead time in this post.
Set DevOps success benchmarks for your team
While there is no universal standard that every team should aspire to, our data and the 2020 DevOps software trends we’ve observed on our platform show that there are reasonable benchmarks for teams to set as goals. Ultimately, your ability to measure your baseline and make incremental improvements on these metrics is more valuable than chasing “ideal” numbers.
Learn how your team measures up to the industry engineering metrics with our 2020 data report
Download the 2020 State of Software Delivery: Data-Backed Benchmarks for Engineering Teams to find out how you and your team can amplify your software delivery going forward. Download the report here.