Last Updated: April 24, 2020
This Acceptable Use Policy (this “Policy”) describes prohibited uses of the continuous integration service and related technologies offered by Circle Internet Services, Inc., dba CircleCI (“CircleCI”) and the related website located at https://circleci.com/ (the “Site”). The “Services” mean the products and services that are ordered by you (hereinafter “Licensee,” “you,” or “your”) under an Order Form or by using the CircleCI account or provided by CircleCI to Licensee on a trial basis or otherwise free of charge, to be used by you or by your employees or agents (collectively, “End User(s)”). This Policy supplements, and is incorporated into, CircleCI’s Terms of Service (currently published at https://circleci.com/terms-of-service/) (the “Terms of Service”) and CircleCI’s On-Premise Enterprise Terms and Conditions (currently published at https://circleci.com/legal/enterprise-license-agreement/) (the “Enterprise Agreement”). In the event of any conflict or inconsistency among the following documents, and, except as otherwise expressly set forth in an Order Form and/or signed agreement between the parties, the order of precedence shall be (1) this Policy, (2) the Terms of Service, and (3) the Documentation. Capitalized terms in this Policy that are not otherwise defined in this Policy have the meanings given in the Terms of Service.
If you violate this Policy, CircleCI may deny access, suspend, or terminate your use of the Services (or any part thereof), as well as access to the Site. CircleCI’s right to suspend or terminate your use of the Services or Site applies even if a breach is committed unintentionally or without your authorization if CircleCI believes that suspension or termination is necessary to ensure compliance with laws or to protect the rights, safety, privacy, security or property of CircleCI, its customers or third parties.
CircleCI may modify this Policy at any time by posting a revised version on the Site. By using the Services or accessing the Site, you agree to the latest version of this Policy.
Licensee agrees not to use, and, not to encourage or allow any End User to use, the Service in the following prohibited ways:
- Modifying, reverse-engineering or attempting to hack or otherwise discover any source code or underlying ideas or algorithms, limitations or vulnerabilities of the Services.
- Using the Services or Site in a manner that is or otherwise encourages (a) any illegal, fraudulent, or abusive activities or (b) any material interference with the business or activities of CircleCI or harms other CircleCI users.
- Selling, reselling, licensing, sublicensing, providing, leasing, lending, using for time-sharing or service bureau purposes or otherwise using or allowing others to use the Service for the benefit of any third party.
- Attempting to bypass or break any security mechanism of the Services or Site, or using the Services or Site in any other manner that poses a material security or service risk to CircleCI or any of its other users.
- Permitting direct or indirect access to or use of the Services or Site in a way that circumvents a contractual usage limit, which includes, but is not limited to, any excessive automated bulk activity such as spamming or cryptocurrency mining.
- Launching or facilitating, whether intentionally or unintentionally, a denial of service attack (including any actions, which effectively causes a similar result) on any of the Services or Site, or any other conduct that, at CircleCI’s sole discretion, materially and adversely impacts the availability, reliability, or stability of the Services or Site.
- Transmitting, storing, displaying, distributing or otherwise making available any content, data or technology that may damage, interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, program or data, including without limitation viruses, Trojan horses, bots, worms, scripting exploits, time bombs or other malicious code.
- Using the Services or Site to interfere with or disrupt the integrity or performance of the Services or its components, or to attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Services or Site, or any related systems or networks.
- Using the Services or Site for any illegal purpose or to violate or facilitate the violation of any laws (including, without limitation, data protection, privacy, consumer protection, and export control laws).
- Copying the Services or Site, or any part, feature, function or user interface thereof, or accessing the Services or Site in order to build a competitive product or service.
- Using Services or Site in any manner that would result in an infringement, dilution, misappropriation or other violation of any intellectual property or proprietary rights of others, including but not limited to copyrights and rights arising from patents, trademarks and trade secrets.
- Using the Services to transmit any material or content that is, facilitates, or encourages libelous, defamatory, discriminatory, or otherwise malicious or harmful speech or acts to any person or entity, including but not limited to hate speech, and any other material or content that CircleCI reasonably believes degrades, intimidates, incites violence against, or encourages prejudicial action against anyone based on age, gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, geographic location or other protected category.
- Using the Service or Site to transmit, store, display, distribute or otherwise make available content that is defamatory, libelous, threatening, harassing, abusive, hateful, deceptive, fraudulent, obscene, indecent, harmful to minors, or otherwise objectionable.
Responsibility for End Users
You are responsible for violations of this Policy by anyone using the Service or Site with your permission or using your account on an unauthorized basis. Your use of the Service or Site to assist another person in an activity that would violate this Policy if performed by you is a violation of this Policy. This Policy applies to anyone accessing or using the Service or the Site; however, each prohibition included in this Policy shall be interpreted to include, and apply to, any action directly or indirectly taken, authorized, facilitated, promoted, encouraged or permitted by a user of the Service or Site, even if such person did not themselves violate the prohibition.
Monitoring and Enforcement
CircleCI reserves the right, but does not assume the obligation, to investigate any violation of this Policy or misuse of the Service or Site. CircleCI may report any activity that it suspects violates any law or regulation to appropriate law enforcement officials, regulators, or other appropriate third parties. Such reporting may include disclosing appropriate customer data. CircleCI also may cooperate with appropriate law enforcement agencies, regulators, or other appropriate third parties to help with the investigation and prosecution of illegal conduct by providing network and systems information related to alleged violations of this Policy.
If you become aware of any violation of this Policy, you must immediately notify CircleCI by contacting us and providing CircleCI with assistance, as requested, to stop or remedy the violation.