As a DevOps Customer Engineer (DCE) at CircleCI, you will be responsible for providing elite post-sales technical leadership to our client base (This is a customer-facing role). The DCE must be the subject matter expert on both the CircleCI platform and continuous integration and deployment as a general practice. Delivering value by driving adoption of CircleCI across the client’s enterprise will be goal number one.
The successful candidate for this job will have a strong technical aptitude along with a strong self-starting, proactive mentality. Building, maintaining, and growing deep, lasting relationships with customers is a critical part of this role. CircleCI has very technical end users, and we deal with complex issues daily. The ability to provide clear, quick, and concise recommendations while also creating excitement and loyalty in our customer base should be a constant thought and come almost as second nature.
What the job entails:
- Work together with customers to help them setup CircleCI, both on circleci.com and in their own private cloud, including any custom setup they may need.
- Partner with your Customer Success Manager to onboard and support our customers.
- Deliver education activities such as pre-prepared developer training sessions to customers early in their adoption cycle.
- Participate in quarterly business reviews and deliver early-access feature education to enrich client relationships and maintain and advance confidence in our business and platform.
- Drive, lead and deliver ad-hoc activities with strategic customers to further CircleCI adoption and customer satisfaction. These can take the form of customer office hours, 1:1 pairing sessions or attending customer’s internal engineering meetings to provide domain expertise and technical thought leadership.
- Be creative and let your resourcefulness shine in solving customer technical problems and answering customer questions.
- Act as the voice of the customer and provide customer feedback to internal product teams to contribute to moving the product forward in a way that best suits our customers.
- Work closely with the Product and Engineering teams to improve the customer experience across the whole platform.
- Become an authority on the CircleCI solution.
What we're looking for:
- 3+ years working in a technical domain closely linked to the software development lifecycle. We're open minded as to what form this can take, but it could be an engineering, DevOps or technical support role.
- Fluent using and scripting *nix and working at the command line
- Proficient working with git and hosted VCS providers (GitHub/GitLab)
- Developed and maintained an app or two in a high-level programming language
- Practical experience working with containers
- Experience working directly with customers to debug common errors
- Ability to tie business problems to technical solutions and understand technology value propositions
- Demonstrated capacity to quickly absorb new concepts and technologies
- Must believe that the best way for all to succeed is to honestly discuss product and company abilities and limitations with customers
- Strong ops / infrastructure knowledge, especially networking and security
- Great relationship building skills and a good people person
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Travel will be expected up to 10-15% of the time
- Experience with build, test, and deployment automation, either as a practitioner or in a customer-facing role
- Ability to understand and resolve networking issues that may prevent communication between different components
- Experience managing or otherwise working with Kubernetes
- Experience with popular web app frameworks (e.g. Rails, Django) or mobile app development (iOS, Android)
- Experience with the Go programming language
- Experience using and automating a major IaaS like AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Management of autoscaling technologies (e.g. launch configurations in AWS)
- Familiarity deploying and debugging distributed systems, especially with Hashicorp Nomad, specifically, a plus!
How to apply
If interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resume and cover letter describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (Twitter, Quora, Linkedin, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect" candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI encourages those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools - processing more than 1 million builds a day - CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by Base10, Greenspring Associates, Eleven Prime, IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Baseline Ventures, Threshold Ventures, Scale Venture Partners, Owl Rock Capital, Next Equity Partners, Heavybit and Harrison Metal Capital.
CircleCI is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.